Warsow
http://www.wsgf.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=25872
Page 1 of 1

Author:  sh1ver [ 03 Nov 2007, 07:00 ]
Post subject:  Warsow

Widescreen Grade: C
Multi-monitor Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Warsow

Warsow is a fast paced, free, first person shooter aimed solely at competitive play. It's currently still considered "in beta" as it's being updated based on community input, play-testers. While not having quite the popularity of other FPS deathmatch games like Quake3 or UT2k4, it has quite a following in the United States and most of Europe, and just had it's first cash-prize LAN event, CDC3. This game has seen a few publicly playable versions, but didn't see a strong community until the releases of 0.1 and 0.21, and an even larger community with the introduction of the "clan arena" gametype that was introduced with the 0.3 release, a gametype that was mainly popular in the Quake3 CPMA community.
www.warsow.net

Author:  sh1ver [ 03 Nov 2007, 13:15 ]
Post subject:  Warsow

Widescreen Grade: A
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: A
Multi-monitor Grade: Incomplete
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Warsow

Warsow is a fast paced, free, first person shooter aimed solely at competitive play. It's currently still considered "in beta" as it's being updated based on community input, play-testers. While not having quite the popularity of other FPS deathmatch games like Quake3 or UT2k4, it has quite a following in the United States and most of Europe, and just had it's first cash-prize LAN event, CDC3. This game has seen a few publicly playable versions, but didn't see a strong community until the releases of 0.1 and 0.21, and an even larger community with the introduction of the "clan arena" gametype that was introduced with the 0.3 release, a gametype that was mainly popular in the Quake3 CPMA community.
www.warsow.net

4:3

16:10

16:9

21:9

3x1

Author:  Tanuki [ 03 Nov 2007, 20:08 ]
Post subject:  Warsow: Detailed Report

Looks like XIII.

Author:  sh1ver [ 03 Nov 2007, 23:02 ]

i left the fov standard, as 100 in all resolutions
however, this doesn't change much as most people dont even play with stock FOV, i myself play at 130, most people choose something around 110 or 120
the game's FOV does not auto-adjust with resolution, but just reduces distortion
say you use FOV 130 at 1024x768, you'll see a good deal of distortion, much like looking through a wide-angle camera lens
FOV 130 at 1440x900 is just as wide, you see just as much, but due to the extra horizontal screen space, the distortion isn't as noticeable

Author:  BlueMak [ 04 Nov 2007, 00:51 ]

wtf, 130 for 4:3 resolution? why?

Author:  g00seberry [ 04 Nov 2007, 01:03 ]

i left the fov standard, as 100 in all resolutions
however, this doesn't change much as most people dont even play with stock FOV, i myself play at 130, most people choose something around 110 or 120
the game's FOV does not auto-adjust with resolution, but just reduces distortion
say you use FOV 130 at 1024x768, you'll see a good deal of distortion, much like looking through a wide-angle camera lens
FOV 130 at 1440x900 is just as wide, you see just as much, but due to the extra horizontal screen space, the distortion isn't as noticeable

Yes, that's the way FOV works, but having a widescreen monitor is all about being able to see more horizontally, therefore you don't want to use the same FOV, but a larger one to be able to see more.

I'd recommend you setting the FOV to its default of 100 for 4:3, then using the FOV calc i linked to previously to take screenshots of 16:10 and 16:9 in the correct FOV in relation to the 4:3 AR.

Here i'll do it for you

4:3 = FOV 100
16:10 = FOV 110
16:9 = FOV 115

Author:  The_cranky_hermit [ 04 Nov 2007, 19:49 ]

This needs some work. The two most important pieces of information for a game are the method and the screen change, and both of these need to be well defined before any of the other details are relevant. Here's what I'd like you to do:

First, take a screenshot at 4:3, using the default FOV of 100. Do not move one bit or move the mouse. You want to keep that angle of view perfectly still.

Now, if possible, change the resolution to a 16:10 one. Find the FOV that makes this perfectly hor +. Not slightly vert - and slightly hor + like your screenshots are, but perfectly hor +. The top and bottom edges of the screen should show the exact same things as they did in the 4:3 shots. Start by using the FOV Calc on this site - it's right most of the time. When you find the FOV for 16:10, take another screenshot. Then do the same for 16:9.

Next, try to see if it's possible to set a custom resolution and a custom FOV by editing config files, and without having to mess with the console.

If you can find such a solution, then describe it in the "method" section. You should also include the default FOV value for 4:3, and the "hor +" FOV values you found for 16:10 and 16:9.

Finally, post your new screenshots in the "screen change" section, and be sure to note what FOV you used for each shot.

Author:  sh1ver [ 05 Nov 2007, 22:12 ]

okay guys, i didn't forget about this!
i've been pretty sick, laid up the past day or two
in the next day or so, i'll update this with correct fov screenies, etc.

Author:  SuicideMachine [ 01 Dec 2015, 01:24 ]
Post subject:  Re: Warsow

Can someone please update the report? Warsow 2.0 just came out, and this report is almost a decade old :-/
I'd do that myself, but.. would prefer someone who has Eyefinity setup to do it.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC [ DST ]