IrfanView and Meta Data

Of course does IrfanView support IPTC ... you'll eventually have to install the plugin-set as well. (Available

from the irfanview website as well).

Open an image -> Image -> Information -> IPTC

IrfanView even allows batch modifications of IPTC.<div>00QNrP-61555584.jpg.cb7479fa4754e6d286a65af79898bf5f.jpg</div>

Rainer,

I downloaded Irfan View and the EXCIF and IPTC plugins and was able to input data into all the fields, Keywords, Categories etc and save it as when I reopen that image in Irfanview the data is there, however IF i email myself a test read of the same image, the IPTC data that I had entered doesn't appear to be there??

-- "however IF i email myself a test read of the same image, the IPTC data that I had entered doesn't appear to be there"

How did you email the image to yourself? Did you mail the original imagefile (after the modification done by IrfanView), or did you resize the image to a smaller size with a "save for web" or "save for email" option of some program? ... (Such options usually strip off exif- and iptc-data) ... If you wish, you can email me such a file (that you test mailed yourself ... (use the "e-mail to" interface in Pnet to send me a small mail, and I'll reply, so you have my mail-addr).

Rainer, Thats what happened I'm sure now that you mention that.

It was "saved for email" so the data got stripped.

Now perhaps you can advise if this method will work:

write data such as IPTC using the IrfanView software and then upload those images directly to the as provided xxxStock Photo website address.

Regards

Doug, there are different approaches to solve your problem, but it depends what you really want:

If you want IPTC (and eventually EXIF) to be part of an image that you resized (shrinked) for web/mail use, you should look for a program (like irfanview) that allows you to keep or discard these sections of the file. (Eventually the program you use now also allows to keep IPTC).

(If you use save-as within irfanview, and if you have switched on the "show options dialog" field, you'll see a number of checkboxes to include or exclude certain parts of the metadata when storing the final image)

If you are going to upload a full size image, then you'll not resize it before use, and then it will contain EXIF and IPTC (given you added IPTC before uploading).

If you prepare images for a special use (eventually upsized an image), there is still a chance that IPTC was stripped off. Check the final image of such a workflow with Irfanview to make sure IPTC is still available. (or add it at that stage).

If you do such sizing operations more often, you might need a program to transfer metadata from an original image (with IPTC prepared when postprocessing this image) to a resized image. ... "jhead" and "exiftool" are such programs ... albeit both only give you a commandline interface.