• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warsow 1.5 Released

FYC

Banned
Download

Jason Padpork, the heroic pig of war, has gone through a complete visual makeover. The new player model has been created from scratch by Matteo Pignatelli and funded by the Warsow community. We believe the new model manages to better represent the character that Padpork is, and to bring the player model up to date with the modern advances in Warsows visuals.

mSnLCFS.jpg

As moving around in the world of Warsow is one of the key skills a player has to master, we concluded that improvements to the movement mechanics were due. The newly improved default movement makes it easier for new players to get a grip of the basics, while simultaneously allowing experienced Warsowians to even further express their art of movement. However, old school movement is still available as a possible movement style.

Localization support has arrived to Warsow. For a game played all around the world, we feel that language-independence is a welcome addition to the global audience of this fast-paced shooter. Warsow 1.5 ships with 11 community-translated localizations (in Russian, Japanese, French, Polish, Chinese, Dutch, Spanish, Hungarian, German, Italian and Finnish), and there are many more to come. Warsow 1.5 automatically detects the language of your operating system and uses the localization of that language whenever available. Remember to check out this wiki article for a guide on how to participate in translating Warsow to your language!

In addition to a whole new Padpork, Warsow 1.5 also introduces other beautiful changes to the games visuals. The latest installment of our qfusion engine supports FXAA, a fast and powerful anti-aliasing method which can improve image quality when hardware anti-aliasing methods like MSAA or CSAA are not available or affordable.

Le dream on, the extremely popular duel map known to many as wdm2, has gone through a major facelift with stunning new textures and added details. Additionally, the improved qfusion engine introduces beautiful soft particle effects to explosions and halo shaders.

rhh9in9.jpg

There are many cool things happening in the world of Linux gaming, and Warsow 1.5 is one of them. We have taken great care to make our latest release run smoothly on the open source radeon drivers, the input code utilizes XInput2, and our shipped binaries are fully compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 and Debian Wheezy.

Server hosts will be happy to hear that 1.5 features a built-in HTTP server that significantly simplifies map downloads by removing the need to serve downloadable files through mirrors.

As with every release, we welcome constructive feedback on every aspect of the game. For more details, make sure to see the full changelog.

See you in the game!

Full changelog and more images: http://www.warsow.net/forum/thread/16212/1

I have fond memories of this game. I downloaded it at a time when I had more freetime than money, and it was my first shooter I played.

Of course, Warsow is an ultra competitive twitch shooter, so I probably had 10 kills in the entire time I played the game.

I'd get into it again but I doubt that the game got any noob-frendlier.

FYC

Banned
Haha, I know what you mean. I got kicked out out of a Clan Arena match in Quake earlier today for being terrible. Oh well, practice makes perfect and such.

I haven't tried Warsow yet but I might jump in with this update.

vocab

So its a Quake 3 ripoff? Weapons and movement look exactly the same

Its an arena shooter. Saying its a ripoff doesn't mean much. It had a distinct cel shaded art style. I'm not sure how much of that has changed now. It's a pretty solid game. I miss the meatball launcher. It was the craziest version of the grenade launcher ever in a video game. It bounced everywhere and very unpredictable. They removed it lol.

sn00zer

Its an arena shooter. Saying its a ripoff doesn't mean much. It had a distinct cel shaded art style. I'm not sure how much of that has changed now. It's a pretty solid game. I miss the meatball launcher. It was the craziest version of the grenade launcher ever in a video game. It bounced everywhere and very unpredictable. They removed it lol.
I meant ripoff in that there is a very obvious lightning gun, rail gun, machine gun, etc. and they look very similar property wise to Q3.....UT is an arena shooter as well, but its very different than Q3

vocab

I meant ripoff in that there is a very obvious lightning gun, rail gun, machine gun, etc. and they look very similar property wise to Q3.....UT is an arena shooter as well, but its very different than Q3

Ya I know what you mean. The movement is weird. You can like grind off rails and wall jump. The games most notable for the visual style. Not all the weapons are the same.

Top Bottom