Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ireena_7

My meadow slowly changing...

ireena (zone 5-6)
10 years ago

I finally got the courage to send photos of my meadow... All the time I felt that there is nothing to show:)))) But I did not strive for rapid results. This, my dream garden, is not my goal, but my way of life. As I said, I enjoy the process itself.....

My first holes:)

Picea abies Cranstonii and Neo...

Picea omorika Pendula, Picea abies Dundanga

At the middle of meadow I plant 4 different Picea abies group. At front - Pinus peuce Latgale

My husband left all spruces and pines. Cut Alder and huge grass. Now, these trees will get the sun and will be more beautiful. Some spruces will be replaced or used for Christmas..

My tools....

Now I need to merge it all into one bed and apply a mulch.... I want to use boulders too - I have a lot.....

My assistants:)

From another side. I have booked a place in the middle. There I want to plant Picea abies Luua Parl from my little garden

And now for the separate plants. I've already planted 28 trees, but they are not visible in this wide area:) I will not show all, just a few...

Currently my favorite - Pinus peuce Latgale. Finally I was able to get it! It is already about 15 years old, I think. She has already cones... I get three:)

Pinus sylvestris Doone Valley

Picea glauca Echiniformis

Picea abies Dundanga

Chamaecyparis pisifera Sungold... I guess...

Pinus x hakkodensis

Juniperus communis 'Stricta'

Picea abies Little Gem

Juniperus x pfitzeriana Gold Star

Pinus cembra, the species and "my", native Pinus sylvestris...

Picea obovata var. lutescens - not gold yet... waiting for more cold nights

Picea obovata Seminskaja - lost her ending, but I think, she knows, what to do:)

Picea abies Cupressina

Picea abies Pruchoniceana

Picea abies Aurea Magnifica

Still waiting for planting...

Behind the house I will make a bed at Ken's methods - with wood chips and Roundup.... for next year...

It's not much and still don't look good, but it is the beginning... I will continue:)

Ireena

Comments (15)

• sprucebud
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well done! I think it's a wonderful project. Glad you are really enjoying it.
    Richard

• cryptomeria
    10 years ago

Wonderful place and in future an important Arboretum.

Good luck and much power! I know sometimes it's hard work!

Wolfgang

• botann
    10 years ago

Hard fun, you mean. :-)
    When I worked behind a desk at Boeing, I would work in my small yard when I came home for relaxation and exercise. Good for the body and mind.
    Right, Ireena?
    Looks like your soil is very good.
    Mike

• thetman
    10 years ago

very nice area you have there..nothing to show? you have tons of great trees all around your property. I would kill for those.. it should turn out great

• Windhaven
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to show us your beautiful land and plantings. I am looking forward to hearing about and seeing pictures as you go. Good work!!

Robyn

• Skeena
    10 years ago

Starting from a blank page probably provides the best opportunity to create a landscape the way you'd like to see it. I like how you've done your first plantings fairly high. In some parts of my yard, the trees were intentionally planted 12 to 18 inches high to allow for the placement of raised beds.

• Cher
    10 years ago

Impressive! You are out there adding choice conifers on that beautiful piece of land. How exciting to be able to put in anything your heart desires.
    Cher

• taxo_man
    10 years ago

Great selections! You have a nice chunk of land to work with. Keep us updated. Love the dogs.
    Jeff

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Hi Ireena!
    All your time and effort you'll put into your piece of land now will result into a very nice Pinetum later!

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    10 years ago

I've been looking forward to this post, Ireena. You're doing a fantastic job with some gorgeous plants. I'll look forward to seeing the progress over time!

• cryptomeria
    10 years ago

@botann.

Hi Mike,

you are right. the better word is " hard fun". But when you are older and plant the whole day ,you have a lot of little aches and pains ( hope this is the right word) the next day. This I meant whith " hard work".

But "hard fun" is much better, I like it.

Wolfgang

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

What a joy to see your wonderful place evolve! Great shots!

Al

• User
    3 years ago

6 years?

We're going to need some updated pics. :-)

• User
    3 years ago

Thanks!

:-)