Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

Does anyone remember Assault Cube?

GitHub page

it was this really fun open-source FPS that had a multiplayer mode and a singleplayer mode with bots, I remember downloading it on my crappy Pentium 4 pc when I was 9ish and it was the only thing I played for years, I believe the engine is based on some variation of Quake 3, it hasn't been updated since may 2018 and I don't know how much of the community is left.

maxresdefault.jpg

Hell yeah!

Used to play this a lot. Really fun for being based on the Cube engine. I made a couple maps (nothing good, mind you...) for it too.

I still remember Cube, but I've never heard of Assault Cube... until I saw this thread.

It's a fun game, but also generic to the point where it reminds me of one of those fake first-person shooters you'd see someone playing on a show like CSI.

11 hours ago, BBQgiraffe said:

I believe the engine is based on some variation of Quake 3

No, the Cube engine was written from scratch by Aardapple (who used to make stuff for DOOM and hang around here).

The networking is not truely client/server like Quake 3, instead it trusted each client, which led to a lot of cheating since creating a modified client to send wrong data to other clients was relatively easy.  I think the cheating put a lot of people off the Cube games.

8 hours ago, andrewj said:

The networking is not truely client/server like Quake 3, instead it trusted each client, which led to a lot of cheating since creating a modified client to send wrong data to other clients was relatively easy.  I think the cheating put a lot of people off the Cube games.

I definitely remember hacking being pretty prevelant when I played AssaultCube a while back. Someone released a modified version called AssaultCube Reloaded, which added a bunch of CoD like things and ruined all the balance of the game. 

10 hours ago, andrewj said:

No, the Cube engine was written from scratch by Aardapple (who used to make stuff for DOOM and hang around here).

you're right it's not based on Quake 3, I was probably thinking of something else.

I downloaded it once, played it for 10 minutes or so and never touched it again.

Sorta feel like giving it another spin...

I tried Assault Cube back in 2015. There was a package for my Linux distro back then, but I think the game was buggy and I didn't have anyone to play with.

Anyways, every time I try a new game, I get bored and come back to Doom.

On April 1, 2022, a new version was released (version 1.3.0.2). I play this game (also GZDOOM and K8Vavoom).
This game has some good resources that can be used for modding doom games: skyboxes, textures, models. If permission is given (usually yes for noncommercial, see license.txt in folder "packages").
Game Engine Cube is pseudo-3D like doom. I have a question, is it possible (in theory) convert AssaulCUBE map (*.cgz) to UDMF?

Around 201X I used to play it with my cousins. Kind of reminded me of CS as @Sonikkumania says. I played it for the last time earlier this year on a lan party, while not bad it has aged a little bit from what I remembered. We played around 1 hours before going back to Doom.

Have great memories of playing a similar game called Urban Terror around that time. Not sure how much that one has aged though.

Still playing and loving Cube 2: Sauerbraten to this day. Damn shame there's only 2 and a half or so servers left running. Never had much experience with Assault Cube, though. I think there were quite a few different games floating around that used the Cube engine as their base.

Ooooooo my man, I remember it playing it as a Kid along with Cube 3. good times although didn't understand anything (By that time I know nothing about english :P)

I only played vanilla Cube and Sauerbraten. I think the engine is very nice, and I enjoyed playing the Cube maps for the first time. This was in the early 2010s I guess. I knew about Assault Cube all along but since I'm generally not into this kind of shooters I never bothered to check it out.